Orfox is built from the same source code asTor Browser (which is built upon Firefox), but with a few minormodifications to the privacy enhancing features to make themcompatible with Firefox for Android and the Android operatingsystem.
Orfox REQUIRES Orbot app for Android to connect to the Tornetwork.
In as many ways as possible, we adhere to the design goals of TorBrowser (https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/),by supporting as much of their actual code as possible, andextending their work into the additional Android components ofFirefox for Android.
** Also, includes NoScript and HTTPSEverywhere add-ons builtin!
The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communicationsaround a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all aroundthe world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connectionfrom learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visitfrom learning your physical location, and it lets you access siteswhich are blocked.
Learn more at:
* * How is Orfox different than Tor Browser for desktop?
* The Orfox code repository is athttps://github.com/guardianproject/tor-browser and the Tor Browserrepository is here:https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/.The Orfox repository is a fork of the Tor Browser repository withthe necessary modification and Android-specific code as patches ontop of the Tor Browser work. We will keep our repository in syncwith updates and release of Tor Browser.
* Orfox is built from the Tor Browser repo based on ESR38(https://dev.guardianproject.info/issues/5146https://dev.guardianproject.info/news/221)and has only two modified patches that were not relevant ornecessary for Android
* Orfox does not currently include the mobile versions of the TorBrowser * Button, but this we will be added shortly, now that wehave discovered how to properly support automatic installation ofextensions on Android(https://dev.guardianproject.info/issues/5360)
* Orfox currently allows for users to bookmark sites, and may haveadditional data written to disk beyond what the core gecko browsercomponent does. We are still auditing all disk write code, anddetermining how to appropriately disable or harden it.(https://dev.guardianproject.info/issues/5437)
* * How is Orfox different than Orweb?
Orweb is our current default browser for Orbot/Tor mobile users(https://guardianproject.info/apps/orweb) that has been downloadedover 2 million times. It is VERY VERY SIMPLE, as it only has onetab, no bookmark capability, and an extremely minimal userexperience.
Orweb is built upon the bundled WebView (Webkit) browser componentinside of the Android operating system.
This has proven to be problematic because we cannot control theversion of that component, and cannot upgrade it directly when bugsare found. In addition, Google has made it very difficult toeffectively control the network proxy settings of all aspects ofthis component, making it difficult to guarantee that traffic willnot leak on all devices and OS versions.
Orweb also only provides a very limited amount of capability of TorBrowser, primarily related to reducing browser fingerprinting,minimizing disk writes, and cookie and history management. It trysto mimic some of the settings of Tor Browser, but doesn’t actuallyuse any of the actual code written for Tor Browser securityhardening.
Tags: free download Orfox: Tor Browser for Android Fennec-52.2.0esr/TorBrowser-7.0-1/Orfox-1.4-RC-3, free download Orfox: Tor Browser for Android Fennec-52.2.0esr/TorBrowser-7.0-1/Orfox-1.4-RC-3 APK, Orfox: Tor Browser for Android, Orfox: Tor Browser for Android Fennec-52.2.0esr/TorBrowser-7.0-1/Orfox-1.4-RC-3, Orfox: Tor Browser for Android Fennec-52.2.0esr/TorBrowser-7.0-1/Orfox-1.4-RC-3 APK
Copyright© 2017 DownloadAPK